Reply To: Do you face racism where you live? If so, how do you deal with it?

Home Forums Discussion Do you face racism where you live? If so, how do you deal with it? Reply To: Do you face racism where you live? If so, how do you deal with it?

admin
Keymaster

safia Khan, (at 8:39PM Saturday 30th of June 2007, GMT)
I apologise but have to disagree with Anand.In my experience ‘racism’exists every where even in Amroha!We encounter the racial divide in Amroha in terms of religion, in the color of our skins even. My not so ‘gori’ sister finds it hard to find a suitable spouse and similarly my brother faces the same issue.In Britain where I lived for most of my schooling,from very early on I was often isolated with no friends because I was the only one at that time with a “brown skin’.Nobody had heard of India let alone Pakistan. Most people thought we had ‘lived in trees’ back home, not knowing that we had a rich culture much older then theirs with highly educated people.This ofcourse has changed dramatically in the past 50 years and people of brown/black skin colour and differnt cultural background dominate the British landscape.My father who left home many years ago and attended the University of London as a teacher encountered numerous ‘moments’of racism,not only at his place of work but also trying to buy a house for his family or going to the shops. As we(my brother and I) attempted to move up the career ladder we were confronted with many situations which were definately racist. Frustrated I left London for the ‘Land of opportunity and the land of freedom’. Even here in the academic world that we move in we have felt insistences of definate racism. Post 9/11 it has gotten worse because my children face it, in fact my son who was born here and for all intent and purposes is American, has often been told to ‘go home’.My brother who decided not to move here from London, because he loved cricket and rugby(?) reached a senior position at IBM after completing his education at the University of Cambridge but could not or was not allowed to reach the very top, decided to start his own company.His children do face some difficult situations and there fore are forced to make difficult choices because of their culture. I agree that post 9/11 situation is not the normal situation however we have to be real. You may ask ‘so how do I deal with it’? We accept it because, yes we have come to their country and yes we are taking jobs that should be their’s. Would you not feel the same way if they came to our country and took all the top jobs? We are here to ‘better’ ourself and with that we should take ‘raceism’ with a pinch of salt.The wonderfull thing about this country is that ‘hard work pays off’ all be it we often have to work twice as hard. I am happy to read Anands comments, obviously we face a variety of situations and the lesson to learn is to be positive and not to let our experiences in our chosen country make us lose site of our goals and the reasons why we came here. We are here to stay!!